- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 diced onion
- 2 stalks diced celery
- 2 peeled and diced medium carrots
- 1 seeded and minced jalapeno pepper
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 cup of lentils
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup of water
- 1 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 4 cups of baby spinach
- Add oil to a soup pot over medium high heat. Add the onion, celery, carrots, and jalapeno pepper and sauté until the onions turn clear, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and sauté 1 additional minute.
- Stir in the lentils and add the vegetable broth and water.
- Add the bay leaf, salt (optional), and ground black pepper. Bring to a boil. Then, reduce to a simmer. Simmer, covered, for 40 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf and stir in the spinach until the spinach is wilted.
The Harvest of the Month recipe is brought to you by the Diabetes Food Hub.