Healthy Youth & Schools
Farm to School
Farm to School is broadly defined as a program that connects schools (K-12) and local farms with the objectives of serving healthy meals in school cafeterias, improving student nutrition, providing agriculture, health and nutrition education opportunities, and supporting local and regional farmers.
Living in Ventura County, one of the richest agricultural communities in the state, schools have the unique opportunity to connect with local farmers and improve children’s diet and knowledge of nutrition.
- Community Roots Garden
- The Abundant Table – Farm to School
- California Regional Environmental Education Community
- Local School Initiatives demonstrates engaged parents and communities at work.
- SeeAg.org Students for Eco-Education and Agriculture – Field Trips and Classes
State & National Resources
- Community Alliance of Family Farmers develops and coordinates on-the-ground programs connecting schools and school children to their local farming communities, while also working on policies that help further the Farm to School movement in California. We work hand and hand with school Food Service, farmers, and the produce industry to bring more local fruits and vegetables onto school menus, helping to strengthen local farm economies and connect kids to where their food comes from.
- California Farm to School Network California-based organizations and school districts led by Occidental College’s Center for Food and Justice are working towards advancing and institutionalizing the Farm to school concept throughout the state.
- California Education and the Environment Initiative California’s landmark EEI Curriculum is a national model designed to help prepare today’s students to become future scientists, economists, and green technology leaders. The K-12th grade curriculum is comprised of 85 units teaching select Science and History-Social Science academic standards. Each EEI Curriculum unit teaches these standards to mastery using a unique set of California Environmental Principles and Concepts.
- Edible School Yard Provides food curriculum, instruction and resources for teachers, parents and schools in the development of school gardens and healthy food education.
- Produce for Better Health Foundation To support educators, Produce for Better Health Foundation (PBH) has designed curricula and other helpful kids’ teaching tools to help students establish smart and healthy fruit and vegetable eating habits for a lifetime.
Ventura Unified Farm to School Program Video
Harvest of the Month
HARVEST OF THE MONTH is a fun and healthy way to positively impact students’ preference for and consumption of healthy fruits and vegetables. The program introduces seasonal produce to students in the classroom on a monthly basis through exciting classroom events, such as cooking demonstrations, school garden activities and fun taste tasting activities. Students are able to not only taste the produce, but learn about it in the classroom, and see it in school environments including gardens, cafeterias and on bulletin boards. Click here to learn more and for resources.
Environmental Education Resources
- Green School Resources
- Water Education Resources
- Climate Change Curriculum
- Green Cleaning Resources
- Online Energy Resources for Educators
- School Garden/Farm to School Resources
- Solar Energy Education
- PreSchool Environmental Book Titles
- Green School Seven Steps
- Kid Friendly Environmental Websites